The quality of America’s infrastructure is a measure of its greatness. For too long, many infrastructure projects throughout the country have been limited by a complex permitting process and distorted by Washington’s priorities, instead of State and local needs. To cure decades of neglect, the Trump Administration has committed to building a safe, fast, reliable, and modern infrastructure to meet the needs of the American people and our economy. This initiative is a joint effort between 17 federal agencies and is designed to change how infrastructure is designed, built, financed and maintained in communities across the country. Together, we can reclaim our heritage of building and invest in our most valuable resource: the American people.
Read the Highlights Document.
View the White House press release.
Read more about the Legislative Principles.
BUILD IT FAST
- The Administration’s proposal will spur at least $1.5 trillion of investment to address our crumbling infrastructure and prepare the United States for opportunities ahead.
- The President is asking Congress to approve legislation that, when matched with State, local, and/or private dollars, will generate at least $1.5 trillion in new infrastructure investment.
- The goal is to permanently fix the infrastructure deficit.
- We will fix the broken permit process so America can become a global infrastructure leader.
- We built the Empire State Building in just 1 year — it can now take 10 years to get approval to build a highway.
- We must streamline the permitting and approval process — getting it down to no more than two years.
BUILD FOR THE PEOPLE
- We will return the decision making to the States.
- In the past, the Federal Government selected projects and programs based upon Federal preferences leading to waste, mismanagement, and misplaced priorities.
- The answer to our Nation’s infrastructure needs is not more boondoggle projects selected by bureaucrats in Washington, D.C.
- We want to empower States and localities to invest in the projects they want, without being burdened by the Federal Government’s red tape and bureaucracy which impede creativity, add costs, and slow down the process.
- The President’s plan designates $100 billion to be used as matching funds for State, local, and private investment. This way, everyone has an interest in a positive outcome.
- It also broadens existing authorities to delegate environmental review and permitting responsibilities to the States.
BUILD FOR THE FUTURE
- We want to sustain prosperous rural economies by providing significant investment in rural infrastructure to address unmet needs.
- The President’s proposal dedicates $50 billion to enable rural America to address its unique infrastructure challenges, rebuilding and modernizing bridges, roads, water and wastewater assets, water resources, waterways, power generation assets, and broadband.
- The plan will support transformative projects that lift American spirits and unleash GDP growth.
- The President’s plan dedicates $20 billion to spur competition around bold, innovative, and transformative infrastructure projects that dramatically improve future infrastructure.
- Together with Congress, we will prepare the American worker for the jobs of tomorrow.
- This proposal will generate new projects to increase employment in the construction industry and boost the demand for labor more broadly.
- This Administration is committed to helping more individuals access affordable, relevant, quality education and skills-development that lead to full-time work and long-term careers, including expanding Pell Grant eligibility to high-quality, short-term programs and reforming licensing requirements for individuals seeking an infrastructure project job.
As the builder-in-chief, President Trump is committed to building a stronger America. No part of the country will be left behind.