To be considered for the program, applicants must be the primary owner(s), key manager(s) or administrator(s) of a business that meet the following criteria:
- Existing in business for at least (2) consecutive years
- Revenue of at least $250,000 annually
- Have a minimum of (2) full time employees (including owner)
- Past performance in construction industry
- Pursuing transportation-related contracts
- Interested in satisfying credit, capacity and character evaluations in consultation with a surety representative
- Have one of the following certifications/designations:
- Small Businesses
- Service Disabled Veteran Owned Business
- Veteran Owned Small Business
- Women Owned Small Business
Consultants, developers and engineering firms are not eligible for the program
The company must also be capable of bidding on DOT-funded projects and commit to attend the series of workshops offered in their region. There is also a registration form that is required for entrance into the program.
The BEP is offered through DOT’s Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization and its network of Small Business Transportation Resource Centers (SBTRC) around the county.