About the Program
The USDOT Women & Girls In Transportation Initiative (WITI) offers an internship program enabling young women from colleges and universities across the country to participate. The WITI internship programs is administered through the department's Small Business Transportation Resource Centers (SBTRC) which provide resources, technical assistance and outreach to all 50 states and U.S. territories. Each SBTRC is responsible for placing qualified female college students in transportation related internships throughout their regions.
To increase the participation of women in the transportation industry and prepare young women to become our nation’s future leaders by creating ladders of opportunity and small business' economic competitiveness through careers, internships, strategic partnerships and education.
Goals of the Program
The goals of the program are to increase the participation of women in the transportation industry and prepare young women to become our nation's future leaders. To accomplish these goals, the program:
- Creates opportunities towards careers and internships in the transportation industry.
- Educates WITI participants on the exciting opportunities available in the transportation industry and inspire them to enter the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields.
- Establishes strategic partnerships through the creation of the Women in Transportation Advisory Committees in each region.
- Attracts and Retains female WITI participants in transportation fields.
- Identifies barriers to economic competitiveness for women participating in the transportation industry and provide sustainability tools.